Today we are looking at different types of conjunctions, or linking words. We use these words to connect ideas. Today we will focus on 4 types of connecting words and their functions.
Look at these 4 sentences and put them into the correct category:
CONTRAST REASON AND RESULT TIME CONDITION
- I went to the shop, because I wanted to buy some coffee.
- I won´t speak to him unless he apologizes first.
- Hilary Clinton won the popular vote, however she lost the election.
- While vacationing in Fiji, they adopted a pet iguana!
- reason and result
NOW put the following conjunctions into the 4 categories:
however such…that while depite even though as long as
although until so…that unless so in case as
- Reason and Result
- Reason and Result : such…that, so, so…that, as
- Condition: as long as, unless, in case
- Contrast: however, although , despite, even though
- Time: until, while
Fill in the gaps with an appropriate conjunction. (more than one answer may be possible!)
- Wear your hat _______ it´s sunny. (in case/until)
- My Spanish has been improving ________ I´ve been studying! (however/ because)
- ____________ studying my Spanish, it´s not improving! (Even though/ Despite)
- We won´t know anything more ____ the results are back. (so/until)
- I´d love to come to your party, _________ I´ve already made plans. (however, despite)
- She´s _____ a nasty person ______ no one likes her. (so…that/such…that)
- in case