Question: What makes a country?
Answer: The people, the food, the customs, the weather, the culture, the history….
Okay….but who said ¨A nation without borders is not a nation¨ ?
That´s right! You´ve guessed it…President Trump. As you may have already heard, President Trump has planned to fulfill his campaign promise, and will be indeed building that wall. Hence, I have put together an advanced listening practice about the infamous wall from National Public Radio in the U.S.A. This is a totally authentic news source, and is a great task for advanced students preparing for the FCE and CAE exams.
LISTENING ADVICE- BEFORE LISTENING
- Read the questions first, and look up any words you don´t know OR try to guess the meanings of the words from the context.
- From the questions, decide which kinds of words you will be listening for. Is it a place, a time, a person…?
- Make notes as you listen.
- Use the first listening to answer the questions, and your second listening to check them.
- Never assume! Make sure there is evidence in the listening to support your answer!
OKAY! Now we are ready to begin! Read the questions first, then LISTEN!
- How many new border patrol agents will there be?
- Immigration officers?
- What program does Trump want to bring back?
- What does this program do?
- What funds will be cut off by Trump?
- What is the estimate of how much the wall is going to cost?
- Who is going to pay for it initially?
- When does Trump want the building to start?
- Who will ultimately pay for the wall?
- When is the Mexican president going to meet with Trump?
SEE ANSWERS BELOW
- Secure Communities
- It deputises* local law enforcement to help find immigrants entering the U.S. illegally.
- Sanctuary cities that harbour illegal immigrants.
- 15 billion dollars
- The U.S. Treasury
- Within a few months
- Next week
*to deputise someone means to appoint them as a substitute for something
e.g. The administration made a formal request to the Attorney General’s Office to deputize an agency lawyer to handle all animal rights cases.